Saturday, October 17, 2015

Introduction

Welcome to GeekGetup. I am relatively new to Cons and Cosplay. When I first started looking online for cosplay tutorials, I found a lot of information, but nothing that suited my specific needs as a beginner.

Just because I am a beginner doesn't mean that I don't want to do advanced costumes. I've been looking for tutorials that will help me create what I want in a way that matches my skill level. Most of the things I found were intense videos that either had no simplified introduction or required a lot of previous knowledge that was not provided there or in any earlier post or video. Most of the props and cosplays I have planned have involved doing something that is new to me. I have had to ask for advice from friends on different aspects of costume designing. And even then, I have had to change around some of that information to work with my personal resources. Not everyone has a house of their own or even a garage in which to work. I live in an apartment and have had to do a lot of things outside. As I am starting out I may end up relying on other people's ideas and adapting them to my own needs. When I do so I will include my own experiences and personal changes that I use as I work on them and adaptations as well as the original source.



Transportation is one obstacle I was trying to overcome. Not everyone lives close enough to conventions to drive, and some props may be too big to carry in a suitcase in one piece. My current project includes five staves each over 5' tall. How is someone supposed to get that to a convention across the world on a plane? I've made them all able to separate into individual shorter pieces that when completed will all fit into a suitcase without any issues. I was able to get the idea from friends, but I wasn't able to find any real simplified help online. With GeekGetup I hope to change that not only for myself but for others as well.

I have many goals for GeekGetup. I want it to be a place for cosplayers at any stage and skill level to be able to use. Whether you are a beginner and just starting out, or more advanced and wanting to get new ideas, I hope to make this for you. GeekGetup will be a place to share and get ideas for anything geek under the sun. There will be video posts, written posts, and lots of pictures. Not all of the posts will be directly related to costume making. GeekGetup will also have interviews, surveys, and general information about Cons and competitions. I will also include costume ideas for Halloween, birthday parties, holidays, or any random dress ups. As I learn something new, I will share it here for you. My stories and experiences. The good, the bad, and the ugly. I hope you will share this with your friends. Comments and critiques are accepted. If there is something you want to learn how to do, mention it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment